Wednesday 14 August 2019

David Crosby Answers Your Questions About Learning to Play Guitar, Living With Diabetes and More

From rollingstone.com

Rolling Stone’s new advice columnist faces the tough issues with wit, wisdom, and candour

                                                                         Anna Webber

Hi Dave. Long time fan. I just got diagnosed with diabetes and I have trouble with what to eat. What do you eat daily? Need help.
Tim Moore, Michigan

I can explain it to you. I am diabetic. I have been for about 40 years. I will explain the whole thing to you. Now, people do these complex diets where you can only eat the third grape and other nonsense. But you eat it, you burn it. What you don’t burn, you wear. It’s that simple.

Now when you start out [in life], you’re burning like crazy since you’re young and you’re just starting out and you’re also building a new body. It takes lots of juice. So then you get old and you’re not burning anywhere near as much, but you’re still eating the same amount, which means you get fat. Simple. So you have to cut down on what you eat.

My doctor said to me, “Crosby, you have to do better.” I said, “I’m trying doc.” He said, “Eat less food!” I said, “Oh, thanks Doc, that clears it right up for me.” He said, “I’m not kidding!” Well it turns out the grumpy old guy was right. You eventually get full when you eat, but your stomach doesn’t tell you for another 20 minutes. There’s a delay before its tells you that you’re full. You kept eating because it tasted good, but you didn’t need that food. You just ate food you’re going to wear.

What I did was cut my portions in half. In America, they give you too much food in a portion in a restaurant. It’s food for two people. I cut it in half and I only eat that. I went from 240 to 180 and I’ve stayed there for three years. I haven’t been more than three pounds on either side of 180 for three years, so I think I did the right thing.

With Diabetes, your goal is to have a haemoglobin a1C of under 7. I’ve been there for three years. The weight thing is central critical to diabetes. That’s why people are going type 2 diabetic all over the country now. It’s just because they are eating crap food largely because all of the packaged foods, all of them, every cereal they make, is full of high fructose corn syrup. Bad. The worst kind of sugar. And they put it in all the packaged foods, all of the bread. It’s bad for you. It’s crap. But they also are just feeding you too much food. The portions are too big. The Western Europeans have got it right. You shouldn’t be eating more than what you can fit in your hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment