Wednesday 23 January 2019

Knowledge is power in fighting diabetes

From sanduskyregister.com

SANDUSKY — This past week has been eye-opening for me to say the least. I know now why the quote, “Knowledge is power” holds true. I had my first professional diabetes education class last week and found out that some of the things I thought were good for me actually were not.

Example: I have been eating a banana every morning for breakfast when in fact bananas can be harmful to someone with diabetes because they cause blood sugar spikes more than other fruit. I can, however, combine peanut butter or low-fat cheese with my banana to cut down the fruit portion and balance my sugar intake that way. (I can’t believe I am using these terms!)

I learned that the basic goal of nutrition for people with diabetes is to avoid blood sugar spikes. I learned there are seven fruits that are great snack options and I like them all so it will not be a struggle to add these fruits to my snack life. Berries, cherries, peaches, apricots, oranges, pears, and kiwi make me smile inside so, yep, more fruits are my new next level of snacking.

I have been making great strides with eating what I like using portion control. But now I am really looking into what my healthy choices are. I see there are levels to this journey and I seem to be moving forward at a great pace.
I shared my present routine/journey with my diabetes educator. She was pleased with my weight loss and my drink of choice, water, and my exercise regimen. She suggested I add a day to my workout and encouraged me to replace an egg instead of a banana for breakfast. I can do that with no problem.

Due to our current weather situation called “winter,” I have created a one-hour workout at home that involves a lot of cardio, dancing, and light weights that I schedule my day around when I can’t get to the gym. Stay tuned for the results that come from my “new next level.”
“Managing your diabetes is not a science, its an art” -Thefreshquotes.com

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/story/201901210008

No comments:

Post a Comment