Thursday 14 April 2016

Upstate kid using viral videos to help other kids with diabetes

By Addie Hampton

6-year-old Tim Crosby is changing the world with an iPad and an insulin pump. He’s on the verge of YouTube stardom for his viral videos teaching other kids about life with type one diabetes.
“Hey kids. I want to tell you about diabetes. I am Tim,” said Tim introducing himself in his first video that’s been seen more than 4000 times.
Diagnosed at age 2, needless, blood and insulin are an everyday part of life. You might say he’s an expert and he’s taking that expertise to YouTube to help other kids.
“I just feel they are watching these videos and there’s a kid that’s maybe just diagnosed right now. They are watching them and now they’re feeling WAY better,” said Tim.
This all started as a way to keep busy and quiet while his siblings were napping.
“Since my mom was in the shower, I thought “hmmm, I should do a diabetes video and help other kids,” Tim explained.
Wednesday, Tim gave 7 New’s Addie Hampton a behind the scenes view.
“I swipe, get the camera ready,” said Tim, moving the iPad into position. Soon, it was lights, camera, and action.
“Can you tell me how your insulin pump works,” asked Hampton.
“So, it runs on batteries and you have to change it every three days,” Tim expertly explained.
These honest explanations of life with T1D are what draws others to his videos. He can’t believe his viral success.
“I’m just thinking it’s very surprising. It means a lot to me,” said Tim.
His mom, MaryAnn Crosby, has also been amazed by the response.
“Watching his videos makes me so happy to see that he has a good attitude and he knows he’s different, but he’s ok with it and he wants to help anyone else who’s like him,” she explained.
Crosby says Tim’s videos are reaching other type one families to let them know they aren’t alone.
“I just hope they help them a lot. They will understand that it shouldn’t hurt and it keep them alive and stuff,” said Tim.
Both Tim and his parents want other T1D families to know that they are not alone.

http://wspa.com/2016/04/13/upstate-6-year-old-helping-kids-with-diabetes-through-viral-videos/

No comments:

Post a Comment